Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Florida Writers

From: Patrick King (abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 17 Aug 2008

    --- On Sun, 8/17/08, David L. Wilson <dwilson@sccn.net> wrote:
      I'll simply suggest that Willeford was a

    MAJOR WRITER whose gifts transcended any plot or setting. There's no

    commonality there. I'd suggest that Willeford represents nothing so

    much as Willeford himself. Does anyone know if Willeford considered

    himself a Florida writer?

    I wonder if anybody considers themselves a "Florida" writer? You're right about Willeford. His books take place in several other locals. Elmore Leonard, who stylistically is most like Willeford, also often writes about Florida, but others of his stories take place in Chicago, Los Angeles, Oklahoma and many other places. Likewise, Ed McBain's last Matthew Hope novels took place in Florida, but McBain is more often associated as a New York writer. I guess Faulkner is a Mississippi writer all right.
             Patrick King