Father Figure (was Re: RARA-AVIS: Positions still open)

From: dermdocsx2 (dermdocsx2@cox.net)
Date: 15 Aug 2008

    I agree with Mark about Scudder. Also, remember that, for all intents and purposes, Scudder has been "married" to Elaine for most of the latter two-thirds of the series, and they have an adopted "son" in TJ, the streetwise kid who helps Scudder on his cases. I think that since Scudder is almost a hero in repose, the longterm relationship with Elaine and his surrogate fatherhood to TJ actually enhances the realism, maturity, and progression of the character and his "arc" of development. It all boils down to the skill of the writer and the richness of the character.

    Patrick Lee