RARA-AVIS: Re: CHASING THE DIME and audiobooks

From: Dick Lochte (dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 13 Aug 2008

    Before we leave the audiobooks discussion, I'd like to mention that, while abridgements are usually less preferred than the complete book, there are two versions of the former: your ordinary abridgement and your abridgement approved by the author. In the reduction of one of my books, the sequence containing the main clue was excised. I'd probably have caught that if I'd been given the chance to "approve" of the editing.

    As far as authors reading their works, I've listened to a lot of audios and, in nearly all cases, this adds to the production. Larry Block, for example, has a nice, dryly humorous, east coast delivery that's perfect for his novels. But there are also a few actors who enhance even the best writing. Will Patton's pitch perfect deep south renditions of James Lee Burke's novels, most of them abridgements alas, take the audiobook concept to another level entirely.