RARA-AVIS: Re: Night Has a Thousand Eyes

From: Mark Finn (markfinn@texas.net)
Date: 09 Aug 2008

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Kent Morgan" <tkmorgan@...> wrote:

    > During Cornell Woolrich month Richard Moore said he was was going to
    read
    > Night Has a Thousand Eyes originally written under the name of
    George Hopley
    > and report on it. Yesterday at a Rotary Club book sale, I came across a
    > Paperback Library Gothic copy so Richard or anyone else is it worth
    reading?
    > At $1.50 I figured it was worth the investment.

    That was the last Woolrich book I read some six or seven years ago. I really liked it at the time. Right now, I'm hip deep in Francis Nevins' doorstop biography.

    Side note: I've seen in other places that the bio/lit-crit form is on the outs in Academia right now, and I just can't fathom that. I don't think I've ever read a bio about an author that didn't attempt to tie their writing corpus directly into their personal experiences. I know there's other ways of looking at it, but to me, that's what most fans who are interested in a particular writer WANT to know about. Speaking as one who wrote such a book, it would have been retarded to try it any other way.

    Mark Finn