Re: RARA-AVIS: Angel Heart/Falling Angel

From: Nathan Cain (IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 07 Aug 2008

    The Millipede Press edition of Falling Angel has an essay by Hjortsberg says he did do research, but admits he couldn't find anything that had any bearing on the ritual at the center of the book and soul switching so he just made it up from scratch, so that's not really based on anything.

    The movie did lose a lot of the structure of the book, which is really disappointing. Hjortsberg carefully structured the story so that the voodoo scene in Central Park and the black mass parallelled one another. The voodoo takes place out in the open under the sky because it is a legitimate religious expression, albiet one by a marginalized class of people. The black mass, on the other hand, takes place underground in man made darkness, because it is an act of evil. Setting the black mass in the subway tunnels also suggests that evil is the foundation upon which modern society, and all the power and wealth one thinks of when one thinks of Manhattan are based. Losing that contrast and the subtext it provided really hurt the movie.

    If you're interested in further occult reading I would recommend Sex and Rockets, a biography of pioneering rocket scientist/occultist Jack Parsons. It was published by Feral House some time ago, and I think they released an expanded edition not too long ago. Parsons was quite the study in contrasts.