RARA-AVIS: Re: The Best George Pelecanos

From: cptpipes2000 (cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 02 Aug 2008

    My favorite of his books is THE SWEET FOREVER, and it is a fine place to start. But it is the third book in his DC Quartet, so you may prefer to begin with THE BIG BLOWDOWN, which is the first or KING SUCKERMAN, the second (which introduces many of the characters we meet again later.

    Otherwise, either of his last two standalones (THE NIGHT GARDENER and THE TURNAROUND) provide a nice introduction as well.

    Incidentally, there is an energy that runs through the early Stefanos detective novels that I enjoyed when I read them even though they are quite different from everything Pelecanos has done since.