RARA-AVIS: Re:The Dark Night. No, the Noir Knight. No, the Black Knight. Oh, good

From: JIM DOHERTY (jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Jul 2008

    Kev,

    Re your comments below:

    "As for it being noir, even if you want to waste your time arguing that point, it was noir mostly by trope and rote; not so much written as a list of noirish cliches checked off one by one, with big f/x-laden
    'scenes' substituted for actual character development. Like a lot of what passes for noir these days. And let's remember: 'noir' does not automatically mean good. Most stuff labelled 'noir' these days is often not only only arguably noir, but also not very good."

    I'm not sure I get your point here. Are you saying that SIN CITY is noir, but not very good. Or are you saying it's not very good, therefore it's not noir, just a cheap imitiation.

    I would agree that something can be noir and yet bad.

    I can't agree that something that's bad can't be noir.

    JIM DOHERTY