RARA-AVIS: Noir comics (was: The Dark Knight, etc)

From: caroli1975 (karabair@gmail.com)
Date: 27 Jul 2008

    > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burton Smith <kvnsmith@>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Or even Dennis O'Neil who, for
    > > years, edited and often wrote "Batman" and several
    Chandleresque-type
    > > back-up features (he also did the recent Dark knight novelization
    tie-
    > > in).

    Oh, yes, O'Neil -- any discussion of noir comics has to include his fabulous run on 'The Question' -- the Steve Ditko-created character who was also the template for Rorschach in Alan Moore's 'Watchmen.'
    (I believe the two series actually came out concurrently with each other). O'Neil's Vic Sage is the only honest man in nightmarishly- corrupt Hub City (it makes Gotham look like a walk in the park); he's also a total apologetic son of a bitch, yet oddly charming -- and very moral -- all of which makes a great read.

    --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Finn" <markfinn@...> wrote

    > I'll respectfully disagree with your choice of Greg Rucka. . .. And
    >his forays into comics have> been less than stellar. His idea of
    >bringing the "detective" back to
    > "the dark knight" was to have him run a license plate in the first
    > issue he wrote. Color me unimpressed.

    Have you read Rucka lately? I don't know about his early run on Batman, but his first issue would have been 8 or 9 years ago, and he's been working steadily since. He's done some Batman stories that are considered among the best contemporary work, and also collaborated with Brubaker on 'Gotham Central,' a series about Gotham cops, which is more police procedural than noir -- and would really be a great recommendation for anybody who enjoyed the law enforcement aspects of TDK.

    And Ed Brubaker -- he manages to give just about everything he writes a flavor of noir, including Captain America. I'm not at all surprised about the Parker adaptation news, as the Richard Stark series and its various adaptations seem to be close to holy writ for a lot of people working in comics today. One of Brubaker's earliest superhero books was called 'Point Blank' and homaged (stole?) the structure and elements of the premise from that film adaptation of 'The Hunter.'

    -Carrie