Re: RARA-AVIS: JG Ballard

From: Nathan Cain (IndieCrime@gmail.com)
Date: 25 Jul 2008

    I have read Cocaine Nights, which is definitely a crime novel, might be of interest. It's been a while since I've read it, but it deals with a happy, shiny resort community in Spain that has some dark secrets. It marks a continuation of Ballard's theme of mankind's alienation from one another in modern society, but shifts the author's focus from automobiles (Crash and Concrete Island), to artificial communities ( resorts, gated communities, skyscrapers). Ballard is a difficult, and not always enjoyable, but important author.

    And anyone with an interest in experimental literature should read The Atrocity Exhibition, a book that so appalled people when it appeared in the 70's that the entire American print run was pulped before distribution. It deals with how the media fractures and alienates. In fact, Ballard's main obsession is our technology drives us apart. The Atrocity Exhibition is the source of his famous short piece "Why I Want to Fuck Ronald Reagan."