Re: RARA-AVIS: Moonshine War

From: davezeltserman (davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 21 Jul 2008

    -

    > Love's Lovely Counterfeit struck me as neither hardboiled nor noir,
    > but just plain shitty melodrama. If I didn't know for certain that
    > Cain also wrote Double Indemnity, I would think it was a different
    writer.

    > Best,
    >
    > mrt

    Is it the classic crime novels that Double Indemnity and Postman are? No. But it's still a solid hardboiled crime novel that's on par with his second-tier novels like The Butterfly, Serenade and Sinful Woman, and it's at least as good as most Elmore Leonard novels that I've read
    (and I like Leonard having read quite a few of his earlier crime novels). Btw. the Ron Miller review you pointed to was favorable towards the book, and in my opinion, a fair review--it's chief complaint, that it's not the crime incon that Double Indemnity and Postman are. Here's another review for it:

    http://www.complete-review.com/reviews/cainjm/loveslc.htm

    Btw. Bogart did a radio broadcast of Love's Lovely Counterfeit for Suspense which was really quite good---I heard it years ago on an old-time radio show.

    --Dave