RARA-AVIS: Disturbing Novels: David Peace

From: T. Kent Morgan ( tkmorgan@shaw.ca)
Date: 30 Jun 2008

I was just going to post about David Peace when E. Borgers sent the following:

"If my message reaches the List, I'll give also more comments about David Peace, which disturbs us in all his novels, and is a real author, not just an offspring of Ellroy, as hasty critics tend to classify him. Very dark, noir and existential."

I wanted to say that I have found the first three books, Nineteen Seventy Four, Nineteen Seventy Seven and Nineteen Eighty, of his Red Riding Quartet so disturbing that I haven't been able to read Nineteen Eight Three. I read the first three while in England and have had book four on my shelf since ordering it in 2003. I would guess that I have picked it up at least 10 times since then and always put it back. The usual excuse was that I wasn't in the mood to read someone as bleak as Peace. I also have his fifth novel GB84 about the miner's strike on the shelf. Rather than read it, I elected to go with Martyn Waites' novel on the same subject. I also have read Peace's football novel, The Damned UTD, but not his recent historical novel set in Tokyo.

Kent Morgan