Re: RARA-AVIS: Disturbing Novels

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Jun 2008

--- On Sun, 6/29/08, davezeltserman < davezelt@rcn.com> wrote:

The ending of Double Indemnity creeped me out more than probably any other crime novel. I'd also put Savage Night and Hell of a Woman, both by Jim Thompson, into the mix.

I appreciate the kind words on Fast Lane, although as far as I know it's never given people nightmares, which I've been told by several readers Bad Thoughts has done.

But still, there's not much in crime fiction as disturbing as the average episode of South Park.

Funny this topic should come up just when I found a copy of THE GETAWAY by Jim Thompson. Picked it up for $4.50 at Crackskull books/cafe in Newmarket New Hampshire and time stopped until I finished it. Talk about disturbing: the graphic description of a beautiful young woman buried alive and that's just one of the disturbing parts. Absolutely made my skin crawl... literally! The book does not let up. Now I have to find the Steve McQueen movie made from it. Great book!

Patrick King