Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Disturbing Novels

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 30 Jun 2008

Mark,

If you liked Double Indemnity, you really owe it to yourself to read Cain's The Postman Always Rings Twice. I recently reread both. Must say I was a bit disappointed in Double Indemnity. I'm not saying it was bad, quite the contrary, but it wasn't as good as I remembered it. Some of the seams showed, in my mind (it was initially serialized, wasn't it?). In fact, I'd argue (and Cain seems to agree) that the movie tightened it up (though the book's ending is definitely more disturbing).

Postman, on the other hand, blew me away, was even better than my positve memory of it. It very well may be the definitive noir book for me.

Mark