RARA-AVIS: Re: The Breaking Point (Calling our man Beaver)

From: JIM DOHERTY ( jimdohertyjr@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Jun 2008

Patrick,

Re your comment below:

"I don't like the film that much, Kevin. I just prefer Marilyn's debut to Lauren Bacall's. That was my original point. I also get a kick out of watching you take yourself seriously."

Not counting some mostly uncredited walk-on roles, MM made her debut, in leading role, in 1948, in a romantic comedy called LADIES OF THE CHORUS.

And before BUS STOP, she'd played lead or semi-lead parts in THERE'S NO BUSINESS LIKE SHOW BUSINESS and THE SEVEN YEAR ITCH.

And that's to say nothing of fairly substantial supporting roles in movies like THE ASPHALT JUNGLE (which, I hasten to add, actually has something to do with the subject of this list), MONKEY BUSINESS, LOVE HAPPY, ALL ABOUT EVE, and DON'T BOTHER TO KNOCK (which also has something to do with the subject of this list).

By BUS STOP, she was already an established star. Maybe not yet a super-star, but certainly a box office draw, and an experienced screen performer. On what possible basis can you call BUS STOP a "debut," comparable to Babie's first screen acting job in TH&HN?

And as for Kevin's taking himself to seriously, check and see what material the house you now occupy is made of. I'm guessing it's clear and brittle.

JIM DOHERTY