RARA-AVIS: Re: Giving away books again

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 30 Jun 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Burton Smith <kvnsmith@...> wrote:

> BookBitch wrote:
>
> > Just a few days left in June to win books! All you have to do is
> > enter to have a chance at winning one or more of these amazing
> > books...blah blah blah
>

> Let's get rid of the Bitch. Or invite her to actually participate here.
>
> Nothing personal, mind you, but back when Bill was here, such obvious
> spam -- no matter how tangentially relevant, banal or possibly even
> interesting it might be to some members - -was generally rejected.
>
> Let's keep this discussion group a discussion group, and not let it be
> reduced to the sort of self-promotional orgy so many lists have
> become. If we want to watch a never-ending collection of advertising
> circling round and round, going nowhere, there must be a stock car
> race somewhere we can watch.
>
> You let in one spammer and all the others will come sucking around
> eventually...

I am aware of bookbitch and so far have seen nothing objectionable. It establishes no precedent, has hurt nobody, and is not spam. She did not consult us before posting, but neither we have received any complaints until now. I am willing to hear complaints, PRIVATELY. But I do join you in the invitation to bookbitch to contribute something besides the book giveaways.

Best,

mrt