Re: RARA-AVIS: Disturbing Novels

From: davezeltserman ( davezelt@rcn.com)
Date: 29 Jun 2008

I just finished the 3rd in the series, How the Dead Live, and will be reading the 4th, I was Dora Suarez soon. Derek Raymond was a hell of a writer, very unique. How the Dead Live was dirtubing by the nature of being partly a meditation on death and loss, but the over-the-top dialogue was (intentionally) pretty funny, and at times had me laughing out loud.

The ending of Double Indemnity creeped me out more than probably any other crime novel. I'd also put Savage Night and Hell of a Woman, both by Jim Thompson, into the mix.

I appreciate the kind words on Fast Lane, although as far as I know it's never given people nightmares, which I've been told by several readers Bad Thoughts has done.

But still, there's not much in crime fiction as disturbing as the average episode of South Park.

--Dave Z.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> The entire Factory series by Derek Raymond, but particularly I Was
Dora