RARA-AVIS: Two Very Different Joes

From: Kevin Burton Smith ( kvnsmith@sbcglobal.net)
Date: 24 Jun 2008

On Jun 23, 2008, at 6:55 PM, rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com wrote:

> Kevin,
>
> Re your question below:
>
> > And has there ever been a male on TV so alpha as
> > Joe Mannix?
>
> Yeah. Joe Friday.

Oh please. I meant a normal, sexually active, fully developed alpha male with emotions and everything (Everyone knows what Joe and Peggy did during commercials, right?)

Square-peg-in-a-square-world Joe Friday seemed more like an emotional
(and possibly sexual) eunuch to me. How he ever managed to have such a hot daughter as Max Collins' Ms. Tree is beyond me...

Friday often came across more like a stern, slightly ticked-off priest to me than a cop, less interested in living in the world right as in hiding behind the rules. But maybe DRAGNET's another show I should re- investigate.

It's been years, and the remakes, I'm sure, do the original no favours. I don't know what was worse -- 45-year old bit players in wigs playing "hippies" or the MARRIED WITH CHILDREN guy trying to solve murders by grimacing a lot.

Kevin