Re: RARA-AVIS: Reading Series in Order?

From: Stephen Burridge ( stephen.burridge@gmail.com)
Date: 22 Jun 2008

I guess there are a couple of distinct issues here: (1) are the author's books related in such a way that enjoyment of later ones depends to some extent on familiarity with earlier ones; and (2) what is the best way to become familiar with an author's body of work. With respect to (2), I often opt for reading an author's books in order of publication, once I've decided I want to read a bunch or all of them. With respect to (1) I'm more relaxed than some people. As long as a book works as a self-contained unit, I don't mind if I'm missing out on development of themes and characters introduced earlier. If I'm interested enough, I can always go back and fill in that aspect of things.

Stephen