RARA-AVIS: Re: Masked Detectives?

From: Chuck G. ( chgenoe2@prodigy.net)
Date: 19 Jun 2008

Thanks Jim. These sound interesting, and I'll definately try to check them out. I guess its not so much the 'masked detective' stories that I like as the hero pulps and weird menace pulps. The Spider combines both of those genres pretty well. Robert E. Howard's detective fiction is also good as weird menace, sort of along the lines of Rohmer's Fu Manchu but with a more action oriented hero.

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "jimdohertyjr"
<jimdohertyjr@...> wrote:

> Chuck,
>
> Re your question below:
>
> > This probably not hardboiled, but Baen is reprinting The Spider
> > stories by Gerald W. Page from the 1930s. I just finished the
first
> > paperback 'Robat Titans of Gotham', and really enjoyed it.
Nostalgia
> > Ventrues is also reprinting The Shadow. Are there any other
writers
> > of this type of story that people might recommend?
>
> I can't personally recommend them, since I have no personal
experience,
> but two you might want to try to track down:
>
> The second "masked avenger" sleuth, following in the wake of the
> success of Street & Smith's The Shadow by just a few months, and
> predating both The Spider and Doc Savage (Savage, of course,
wasn't
> masked, but he is generally classed with the other "hero pulps"),
was
> The Phantom Detective, who starred in his own magazine. Another
of
> those "wealthy young men about town," who scratched an itch by
fighting
> crime, his costume was a domino mask and a top hat. His
adventures
> were by-lined "G. Waymon Jones," but, in contrast to characters
like
> The Shadow, The Spider, and Doc Savage, who were primarily
identified
> with a single creator, many different writers contributed Phantom
> Detective stories under the "Jones" house name, including pulp
> stalwarts like D.L. Champion, Norman Daniels, and Norvell Page
> himself. One P/D writer who might be of particular interest was
Alvin
> Schwartz, who also did a lot of work in the comics field,
including a
> number of adventures about the mast famous masked detectve of them
all,
> the Batman, particularly for the syndicated Batman newspaper strip
of
> the '40's.
>
> Erle Stanley Gardner's contribution to the "masked avenger" school
of
> pulp detective fiction was a character called "The Patent Leather
Kid,"