RARA-AVIS: Re: Masked Detectives?

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 13 Jun 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck G." <chgenoe2@...> wrote:

> Hello all,
> This probably not hardboiled, but Baen is reprinting The Spider
> stories by Gerald W. Page from the 1930s. I just finished the first
> paperback 'Robat Titans of Gotham', and really enjoyed it. Nostalgia
> Ventrues is also reprinting The Shadow. Are there any other writers of
> this type of story that people might recommend?

I did a double-take on this post. The Spider stories were the work of Norvell W. Page ((1904-1961)under the name Grant Stockbridge, not Gerald W. Page, who edited the DAW Best Horror anthologies before Karl Wagner took them over. Jerry Page would probably be flattered by the mixup as he is a member of the PulpMags Yahoo list that I also belong to.

Not to give you a hard time as I am always doing this "almost but not quite" type mixup. One I've made several times (at least twice on this list) is to refer to the Gold Medal novelist Gil Brewer as "Gay Brewer." I blame that on my time as a newspaper sportswriter back when Gay Brewer was one of the top golfers in the PGA.

Richard Moore