RARA-AVIS: Re: Sturgeon's "Cellmate"

From: Eric Chambers ( nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 13 Jun 2008

- In rara-avis-l@ yahoogroups. com,"jacquesdebierue" jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com ,wrote,

 Why do we now rate Willeford so highly, whereas some decades ago he was part of a vast shapeless pile of "popular literature"? And, most notably, pulp literature was considered trash for many decades, not worthy of study or discussion as literature. That's not the case today. The same happened with B-noir films, cheap horror films, the Corman crowd, etc.

Yeah, but you could make just such a list of people and works considered great in their day and now considered not so worthy. Earl DerBiggers? Dennis Wheatley, Sax Rohmer? James Hadley Chase? And even Earl Stanley Gardner. And, no, don't read me as condemning these guys - far from it - I'm just making a point. Times and tastes change.

--------------------------------- Get the name you always wanted with the new y7mail email address.