Re: RARA-AVIS: Arts as they mature

From: John Armstrong ( pachuco@telus.net)
Date: 12 Jun 2008

-- hard to reckon that while the The Bachelor, Who Wants to marry a Millionaire Farmer et al are hits things like the Sopranos, The Wire and a few others are also popular, although to lesser extent. The Wire came close to cancellation but made it to the end of its planned run. (Hard to think - to early in the a.m.) Perhaps its like society - the middle class is disappearing. It's either crap or diamonds. It's a strange age ...

I think maybe that's at the root of Sturgeon's law; the 90 per-cent of crap and the large amount that's popular enough to turn a good profit, help pay for the elite 10 per-cent, so long as it comes close to breaking even. Someone else could likely say this more elegantly. Need coffee