RARA-AVIS: Arts as they mature

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 12 Jun 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, John Armstrong <pachuco@...> wrote:

> Similar thing happening in comics; as the audience has dwindled,
overall
> quality of writing and art has gone up.
> Purely subjective estimation on my part but I don;t think too many
would
> argue there is more really fine work in comics now (last 10 years
say)
> than in other eras.

Sophistication can't be braked, but it does tend to lose the mass audience, even when it can gather at least a sizable minority of the surviving audience...hence tendencies to gamble on complex and nuanced work, along with some ever crasser (along with, on average, the best set of television drama the US, at least, has seen has been a complement of the most ridiculous, degrading set of game shows we've ever been plagued with, for obvious example, and fake cinema verite series).

Todd Mason