Re: RARA-AVIS: Sturgeon's "Cellmate"

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 11 Jun 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "foxbrick" <foxbrick@...> wrote:
> That's pretty much what Sturgeon meant--from the ridiculously
awful to
> the utterly humdrum mediocrity.

Todd,

it would be really nice to know why mediocre is crap. I think someone like Brett Halliday or Edward S. Aarons is mediocre, but they are not crap in any sense of the word. Or maybe someone like G.W. Ford, from the more recent writers. Or Sue Grafton (okay, I haven't read that much by her, but I wouldn't say she's great nor would I say she's crap). Mediocre can be very entertaining, while crap is almost never entertaining. (Unless it's something like THE MESA OF LOST WOMEN.)

I've been pissed at Sturgeon's Law for some time now. Okay, Sturgeon meant it as a joke (he was drunk, as Richard pointed out) and we should treat it as such and not take it as a truth. It's become sort of a lame excuse. Someone says: "Hey, crime novels are crap, didn't you know that, read literary novels instead." And we say back, smirking: "Hey, didn't you know that 90 % of literary novels is crap?" And that's the end of discussion.

Juri