RARA-AVIS: Re: mystery writers in comics

From: dermdocsx2 ( dermdocsx2@cox.net)
Date: 11 Jun 2008

Many hardboiled/mystery writers have come into the comic fold in recent years. Max Allan Collins's involvement actually dates back to him scripting the Dick Tracy daily strip in the 70's and he originated Ms. Tree as a comic book while also writing Batman and creating Wild Dog with Terry Beatty for DC comics in the 80's. In the 90's, Collins worked with his hero and friend Mickey Spillane on the Mike Danger comic book.

Greg Rucka's Atticus Kodiak series does predate his comic work but I spoke to Greg at a comic convention years ago and he described his longtime love of comics and how he enjoyed his opportunity to work in the medium. More recently, Brad Meltzer did a groundbreaking miniseries for DC called Infinite Crisis and spent a year writing the Justice League. David Morrell recently did a Captain America minseries and has more work coming. As was mentioned earlier, Duane Swiercynski is writing Cable for Marvel and has done some Punisher work. Charlie Huston has worked on Moon Knight and Wolverine for Marvel. The work they have all done is variable in quality and certainly will appeal to you depending on the subject matter and whether you enjoy comics. I have read all of the authors' prose work and I would be hardpressed to identify any of their styles in their comic work.

Pat Lee

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Nathan Cain" <IndieCrime@...> wrote:

> To add to the list of hard boiled comic authors, I understand Victor
> Gischler penned a Punisher story that just came out.
>
> On Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 9:50 PM, <DJ-Anonyme@...> wrote:
> > Kat wrote:
> >
> > "I thing Greg Rucka and Max Allan Collins did it the other way:
coming