RARA-AVIS: Sturgeon's "Cellmate"

From: Juri Nummelin ( juri.nummelin@pp.inet.fi)
Date: 11 Jun 2008

Theodore Sturgeon's "Cellmate" (from 1947, Weird Tales) is a pretty hardboiled story about two prisoners in a cell. It's told in a chatty, colloquial style and packs quite a punch. Recommended.

I seem to remember some people saying that Sturgeon wrote the short story
"The Darker Drink" (Thrilling Wonder Stories, 1947) for Leslie Charteris, and also the novel THE SAINT SEES IT THROUGH (1946). Anything remotely hardboiled or noirish in these? Todd?

Juri

PS. Sturgeon's law: what a bunch of crud. If 90 % percent of everything was crap, we wouldn't have this list or then there's thousands of cruddy hardboiled and noir novels being published each year.