RARA-AVIS: Re: occult PIs

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 10 Jun 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, John Armstrong <pachuco@...> wrote:

> Thanks Kat - I'll look for Shetterly.
>
> BTW, M W Wellman's name came up in a recent post and that got me on -
> don't ask how my brain works - a jag about three-name authors and pulp,
> and the first that came to mine was Robert Leslie Bellem.
> I thought his stuff was dreadful, but it had an outrageous,
over-the-top
> charm regardless. At least it did 30 years ago, when I last read any of
> his stories.

I'm a Bellem fan and I've never gotten tired of his brilliantly inept stories. Whatever he needs, he brings into the story. If an evil dwarf will wrap it up, he creates one, and if the evil dwarf needs to be the incestuous son of the villain, he makes him one. He's often compared to Prather, but Prather was realistic, relatively speaking. Bellem was out there. To speak of bad writing is to miss the point of his comic genius.

Best,

mrt