Re: RARA-AVIS: occult PIs

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 09 Jun 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "foxbrick" <foxbrick@...> wrote:

> Sturgeon was the first and most obvious model for Ray Bradbury, who
> also was fond of such things. Robert Bloch, Robert Arthur, Thorne
> Smith, L. Sprague de Camp, John Collier, Idris Seabright/Margaret
> St. Clair, Damon Knight, and Algis Budrys among the others who've
> contributed to such traditions.
>
> Is "lurid" the word you'd use to describe Sturgeon, Mario? Even
> when blatant, I'm not sure I'd go with "lurid."

I think so. Or at least in Technicolor. You're right about Bradbury. I keep his books handy and occasionally, late at night, I read a story. The other day I read that great one about Hemingway's parrot. Terrific. And the one about the icecream suit gives me the shivers every time I read it. Sturgeon and Bradbury have a very similar effect on me, though I had never pondered influences until today.

They teach Bradbury but they don't teach Sturgeon -- an injustice to Sturgeon.

Best,

mrt