RARA-AVIS: Re: occult PIs

From: Kat Richardson ( kathyr136@comcast.net)
Date: 09 Jun 2008

Well, damn, Mark, thanks. Glad you liked it, warts and all (yeah, on re-reading, it could have used another editorial pass, but there's only so much time in the schedule.)

I'd have to second the list at Keven's site--very useful--and the recommendations Todd made. ANNO DRACULA and GHOST BREAKER are a lot of fun (though sometimes you have to keep your tongue in your cheek with Mr. Goulart....) FALLING ANGEL is extraordinary--worth a look.

Lilith Saintcrow (weirdly, that's her real name--her parents have much to answer for...) is probably too Fantasy and outrageous for a real hardboiled fan. They are boiled to a moderate hardness, but they definitely have more of the Fantasy/SF conventions and a slice of romance that may turn some harder core readers off. Jim Butcher's books are fun, light reading, though the later ones get more hardboiled.

A book that doesn't make most people's list, but should, is Will Shetterly's Fantasy/SF/PI novel CHIMERA--a story of racism in a future Los Angeles where the half-animal hybrid Chimeras are treated like animals, though most are as human as anyone else. Enter a down-on-his-luck PI with a case of bad guys on his tail, mix in a Chimera girl (half cheetah) with a problem and on the run, and the gritty world of Los Angeles on the cusp of apocalypse goes to hell in a big way. Think GUN MONKEYS with cheetah girl and you'll be on the right track.

Anyhow, that's my 2+cents.

--
Kat Richardson
http://katrichardson.com/