RARA-AVIS: Robbie's Wife

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 03 Jun 2008

I meant to say something after finishing Robbie's Wife. I was prepared to stick it out, but to what end I knew not. It's true that not much happens for almost 2/3s of the book, but you realize much sooner than that the book is actually a very clever black comedy. The humor is English, very subtle and very dry. When some of the list members said it really takes off I assumed they meant action, but they were obviously talking about the humor. There were parts near the end where I was laughing out loud--think Alfie Precious (is that a great stereotype of a British name by an American writer, or what).

Jeff