RARA-AVIS: Re: Bodies are Dust (Writers who have "disappeared")

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 05 May 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Vorzimmer" <jvorzimmer@...> wrote:

> Tonight I went to pick up P. J. Wolfson's Bodies are Dust at the
library and
> when I opened the book, I noticed that someone had scrawled on the
title
> page, "Very vicious--should not be in library." I laughed out loud. I
> flipped back to the fly page where the due dates are stamped and saw
that
> the book had been checked out many times in the 1930s and 40s, but
then I
> saw that the due date of the previous borrower, stamped just above
mine, was
> March 27, 1948. No one had borrowed the book in over sixty years!
>
> Talk about your forgotten, neglected writers who have faded into
obscurity.

You're lucky that your library keeps the good stuff. Many libraries routinely get rid of books that haven't been checked out recently. I have bought many wonderful books for a few dimes at library sales, and while I was happy to have them, I felt sad that the general public would no longer have them available. For example, what is the point of getting rid of pianist Arthur Rubinstein's two volumes of autobiography (where he tells you about his sexual adventures in Argentina and other places, as well as an incredibly funny anecdote about Stravinsky)?

Best,

mrt