RARA-AVIS: Re: Erskine Caldwell...

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 04 Feb 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Ron Clinton" <clinton65@...> wrote:

> As much as I enjoy the backwoods / swamp tales from Brewer, Williams,
> Whittington, et al, I've never read any Caldwell. I recognize he's
a bit
> more on the literary end of the scale than the Gold Medal end, but am
> curious is he's worth reading? Maybe TOBACCO ROAD or GOD'S LITTLE
ACRE or
> ???
Very worth reading. The two essential novels you mention and, in addition, the collected short stories, available some years ago in a handsome university press edition (U. of Georgia Press, I think). Wonderful stories, many of them quite tough. Today, those wonderful stories are hardly known.

Best,

mrt