RARA-AVIS: Re: form/formula

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 28 Jan 2008

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, DJ-Anonyme@... wrote:

> John mentioned that many contemporary literary novels don't have form,
> much less formula. William asked if that was a bad thing. That
> interchange reminded me of a question I sometimes entertain: What
> authors are experimenting with form and formula in hardboiled and noir
> fiction?

I think K.C. Constantine worked out a formula of his own, one that I haven't seen elsewhere in crime fiction. There are crimes and there are cops, but the stories became progressively social studies of people in a particular place and era. An excellent series that developed transversally to trends. I think Constantine's work has staying power. And to define his novels as "police procedurals" seems quaintly inadequate.

Best,

mrt