Re: RARA-AVIS: Hammett and... Henry James

From: Patrick King ( abrasax93@yahoo.com)
Date: 26 Nov 2007

--- Brian Thornton < tieresias@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> >I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything.
>
> Then why are you so forceful in your statements and
> so frequently unpleasant in your responses?
> Needlessly so, I might add. This is a most
> collegial list. I invite you to give it a try, and
> that's not hyperbole.

"What do you want me to do? Learn to stutter?"--Sam Spade

Brian, you become very offensive, yourself, when you're defensive. I'm happy to have a pleasant argument with you or anyone else without the snide jibes. But if you want to snide jibe, I can dish it out and I can take it. My hobby is fencing.

That's when people start to complain about these threads.

I'm not even sure what we disagree with in this discussion. I said that Hemingway acknowledged an artistic debt to Hammett and you want to know where the quote is. I have nearly 200 books by or about Ernest Hemingway. I'm sure I'll turn it up again eventually. I can assure you, he said it. Why would you think he didn't? Just because I said so
"forcefully."

Come on; let's lighten up. You can believe whatever you want.

Patrick King

      ____________________________________________________________________________________ Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make Yahoo! your homepage. http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs