RARA-AVIS: No off-topic politics here, please! [Re: Chandler's The Lady in the Lake]

From: foxbrick ( foxbrick@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Nov 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, Patrick King <abrasax93@...> wrote:

> --- jacquesdebierue <jacquesdebierue@...> wrote:
>
> > --- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Terry Bowman"
> > <foolesgold@> wrote:
> > >
> > > Very Bush/Cheney way to look at things. I guess
> > you've
> > > had a great last six + years.
> > >

> > Terry, this space welcomes people of all political
> > persuasions. Let's
> > not go off topic into political arguments unless
> > politics comes into
> > play while discussing hardboiled or noir literature.
>
> Come on! Whether you like the present administration
> or not, Terry's anology to Jim's posted attitude is
> perfectly valid. The President has publicly stated a
> very similar position to the one Jim takes. Surely
> we're allowed to allude to reality occasionally in our
> search for the ultimate hardboiled noir.

Yes, but we don't need this list to be Poisonville. I'm at least as prone as the next hot-head to react Enthusiastically to what I see as an undereducated statetment, but, as one veteran RA member wrote me offlist, the occasional posturing and gratuitous rudeness gets Real Tired, Real Quick...and even, say, Bushites who love HB and such should be able to read and contribute w/o feeling gratuitously insulted.

TM