RARA-AVIS: Re: The definition of literature

From: nqexile ( nqexile@yahoo.com.au)
Date: 07 Nov 2007

On the question of whether he wrote literature - I ain't gonna go there, but don't dismiss Hornung so quickly. Surely he was the father of the gentleman thief genre. I'm thinking the Saint, Bernie the Burglar (to bring us back to the subject of Block) Peter Cheyney's Alfonzo MacTavish,and Im sure there are those of us who can name quite a few more. (There is a very famous French example that completely escapes my memory for the moment) Raffles, like Holmes, hasn't bitten the dust yet. There has been more than one author who has contributed new Raffles stories. There has been at least one British TV series and there are pastiches of 'Raffles meets Holmes' and that kind of thing.Obviously something about the Raffles concept is still quite appealing. The books are very readable. The only problem with them is that there is a little too much Cricket.

Eric