RARA-AVIS: Re: James M. Cain

From: Dave Zeltserman ( dz@hardluckstories.com)
Date: 30 Sep 2007

His noncrime novels Heed the Thunder and Now and on Earth are both very good and well worth reading. My favorite crime novels of his are: Savage Night (my favorite), Hell of a Woman, Swell-Looking Babe, The Getaway, Pop. 1280, After Dark, My Sweet. I didn't care much for his first crime novel, Nothing More than Murder, which seemed heavily influenced by Cain's Postman. His novella + short story collection, Fireworks, The Lost Writings of Jim Thompson is excellent. You can find a short essay of mine on Thompson's writing at:

http://www.hardluckstories.com/issue1-JimThompson.htm

--Dave Zeltserman