Re: RARA-AVIS: Vertigo & David Dodge & Sid Fleischman

From: Jeff Vorzimmer ( jvorzimmer@austin.rr.com)
Date: 30 Sep 2007

> I finally found and read a copy of The Living And The
> Dead (D'entre les morts) by Pierre Boileau and Thomas
> Narcejac. It was the basis -- as much as any book can
> be a basis -- for Hitchcock's Vertigo. Much, much
> darker than the film. Almost . . . well, you know.
> Still doesn't change my take on the film but it's a
> very interesting and very French novel.

This one's been in my TBR pile for years. I'll have to move it closer to the top.

Right now I'm reading the David Dodge novel that Charles discovered, The Last Match, and, so far, I'm loving it. Sounds like David Dodge was quite the adventurer. It was a perfect segue from the two Sid Fleischman books, Look Behind You, Lady and The Venetian Blonde. I have yet to read a Stark House reprint that wasn't great. You guys pick winners to reprint every time.

Look Behind You Lady is set in Macao after the war and is pretty typical of the Gold Medal espionage thrillers of that time. Lots of twists and turns. The Venetian Blonde is set in Venice, CA in 1963 and the whole murder and mayhem among the beatniks reminded a lot of David Markson's Epitaph books, especially in that the main characters in both have a thinly-veiled contempt for them. Both were great reads.

Jeff