RARA-AVIS: Re: James M. Cain

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 27 Sep 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Zeltserman" <dz@...> wrote:

> Double Indemnity is a special book, but I've liked most of James M.
> Cain's books, even The Butterfly, although I like Hammett a lot
> more. Two totally different styles and I can believe that neither of
> them read each other. Btw. It's been years since I saw the movie
> version of The Butterfly, but as chessy as it was I kind of liked it.

I remember _The Butterfly_ as a strangely disagreeable noir novel. Very good, but disagreeable. Then there's the awful _Love's Lovely Counterfeit_. But he wrote good stuff, no question. At his best, he is a model of both hardboiled and noir. What do folks think of Serenade? I remember not liking it for the first half, then really getting into it. I had a similar experience with Mildred Pierce (which doesn't really relate to this list). In an article, Cain wrote that he disagreed with style masters who complained about cliché³® He argued that the public loves cliché³ and that he was happy to provide them, that they work.

Best,

mrt