RARA-AVIS: RE: Simenon and his TOUGH novels

From: Richard Moore ( moorich@aol.com)
Date: 25 Sep 2007

Thanks for these excellent links and I agree with your high opinion about THE BROTHERS RICO and THE BLUE ROOM. As much as I enjoy the Maigret stories and consider the Inspector to be one of the great characters of crime literature, his best work can be found in the non- series stories. My favorite (so far as there are many I have yet to read), is THE MAN WHO WATCHED THE TRAINS GO BY.

English readers should avoid Simenon translations by Geoffrey Sainsbury. He is one translator that experts (and I am certainly not one) termed a butcher who changed character profiles, plot elements and a host of other details.

Richard Moore

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "Allan Guthrie" <allan@...> wrote:

> Looks like a comprehensive bibliography here, Don:
> http://www.classiccrimefiction.com/georges-simenon.htm
>
> I've read quite a few of the noirs over the last year. The two that
stand out are THE BROTHERS RICO and THE BLUE ROOM, but I haven't read any of those already mentioned. Hell of a writer.

> If you want to look further, there's a superb Simenon interview
online from the Paris Review, downloadable as a .pdf from this page.