Re: RARA-AVIS:What are you reading and Simenon.

From: scatalogic@aol.com
Date: 25 Sep 2007

I wasn't really aware of non-Maigret Simenon either (I don't know if they are available as cds, but BBC radio has done some cracking Maigrets over the years) and on the what are you reading front, I've not long since finished Derek Raymond's posthumous Nightmare in the Streets (Serpant's Tail), which, I am sorry to say was greatly disappointing. It had the requisite Raymond style, some nice scenes, and lashings and lashings of existential gloom, but felt very underdeveloped, particularly as a crime novel and the Parisian setting was pretty much non-existent. The copy I have says the novel has been published from a typescript, but I see from other websites that the novel has been published before in France. I gather Raymond was probably treated more seriously as an 'artist' in France (I'm pretty sure he won a literary medal there) and I'm wondering if Nightmare perhaps fits better into a French tradition/style
- it was basically one man and his thoughts. If anyone can enlighten me I'd be most grateful.
  On recent reads, I've had something akin to reading block for around three years now (it's horrible, believe you me), which I'm sure is related to depression/addiction thangs I've been battling - and the medication to treat them. I just can't concentrate. So, I'm trying short strories and discovered a Raymond Chandler collection - Pearls Are A Nuisance. The title story is the first Chandler I've read and not really cared for - it's the drunkest story I've ever read with bottles and bottles of the hard stuff flying around and features
 a supremely annoying protaganist in Walter Gage - an amateur investigating the theft of some pearls from his girlfriend's employer. (the rest of the collection is much, much better).
  Oh, and if anyone can cure readers' block, send the tablets here please.
  All the best,
  Colin
  Join my Church: www.myspace.com/thereverendspadgedooley