Re: RARA-AVIS: Postmodernism/Woolrich

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 24 Sep 2007

--- Richard Moore < moorich@aol.com> wrote:

> Well, I do respect the differences of opinion which
> make this list
> so rewarding. I think few writers have captured the
> loneliness and
> desperation of urban America better than Woolrich.
> That is one of
> the off-putting things for me about WALTZ as it is a
> period piece.
> But most of all, I thought the main character was
> such a sap.

You know why I really love Woolrich? And I have to preface this with my agreeing with just about everything you mentioned. To me, Woolrich is such an off-the-wall experience that I am not so much concerned with his succeeding in his books as much as admiring what he attempts. For my money, "Waltz" is a great read because it is a period noir -- and it don't get much more noir than "Waltz" -- and that is something that touches are whether noir stories are of a particular time or not -- and I also loved screaming out loud, "You dumb moron" as I read the story. It's also an epic story and everybody but the Russians believe that if it's going to be depressing, keep it short. In all honesty, I read Woolrich differently than I read other writers so I completely understand where you're coming from. Even so, I think it is one of his most ambitious and darkest works and can see why others might not think so.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>

____________________________________________________________________________________ Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha! Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo! Games. http://get.games.yahoo.com/proddesc?gamekey=monopolyherenow