Re: RARA-AVIS: Digest Number 1636

From: Rene Ribic ( reneribic@bigpond.com)
Date: 24 Sep 2007

1. Ovid Demaris
    From: Bill Crider

Curt, I've read all those Ovid Demaris titles and enjoyed them. But that was more than years ago, so I'm not sure how they'd old up.

Bill Crider

I've read a few of his GMs in recentish times & found them to be a bit ordinary except for Candyleg which in my opinion holds up very well against other solid GM novels by the likes of Day Keene & Gil Brewer. A hardboiled heist novel cum noir love story, I think it's underrated, if rated at all. If you Google Candyleg you will find a review of the book with a completely opposed view to my own. I do doubt, however, that the person reviewing Candyleg would enjoy any classic Gold Medal novels, as he seems to have problems with things like 50s slang & hardboiled argot.
(Haven't looked in @ your site, or anywhere much, lately Bill. I hope Mrs C is going well. She doesn't know me of course, but give her my best wishes)

Rene