Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: One of Miker's favourite bugaboos (another definition to argue ab

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 21 Sep 2007

Mario replied to my question about the lack of seriousness in postmodernism:

"It isn't serious in the sense that you're not supposed to believe in the characters and situations as people and things that happen to actual people."

Got it. The New York Trilogy, which I mentioned, certainly does not even attempt any sort of verisimilitude, realism or naturalism. By that definition, I'd agree with you about the lack of seriousness in much of postmodernism.

But not all. What do you do with something like James Sallis's Lew Griffin books? I would classify them as postmodern in their telling, especially as the series goes on and the writing gets more and more reflexive, as much about how the story is being related as the story itself. However, my belief in the characters and situations is never in doubt.

"Their criticism [Lyotard and Jameson] is serious, of course, in the sense of not meant as a joke or easily interpretable as one."

Although many have tried.

Mark