Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: One of Miker's favourite bugaboos (another definition to argue about?)

From: DJ-Anonyme@webtv.net
Date: 21 Sep 2007

Mario wrote:

"I think people refer to a 'postmodern book or style' when the author somehow puts the reader in the know that the story isn't serious, where the text parodies or at least draws on the genre itself. The systematic or generalized wink, in other words, the text becoming mainly a literary object and not a straight narration of events."

I agree with most of what you say (and would add Tristram Shandy to your examples of postmodernism before there as even a modernism; it was clearly there from the very beginning of the novel), but I'd like to quibble with your assertion that "the story isn't serious." Isn't meant to be a serious example of the genre it is deconstructing, maybe, but I find it very hard to think of Paul Auster's New York Trilogy, for example, as anything less than serious. And when it comes to postmodern criticism, well, you don't get much more serious than Lyotard and/or Jameson.

Mark