RARA-AVIS: Re: What Are You Reading?

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 20 Sep 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "cptpipes2000" <cptpipes@...> wrote:

> Seconded. Though I recall that you don't care for GQ pieces he wrote
> way back when. The second collection DESTINATION: MORGUE! includes
> several articles in which Ellroy and Bill Stoner re-examine cold
> cases. I liked reading them.

You're right. At a certain point, the self-conscious hipster tone
(which sounded phony to me) started getting on my nerves. A real hipster doesn't have to adopt any tone, he shouldn't be seen as striving. In straight narration, Ellroy has shown that he can swing. For pure fiction, I think Ellroy's best work is Clandestine. Anyway, he has written good stuff and doesn't need my rubberstamp --or anybody's rubberstamp. People who like hardboiled literature should give him a try. I think the adjective ultrahardboiled certainly applies to his work.

Best,

mrt