RARA-AVIS: Re: What Are You Reading?

From: cptpipes2000 ( cptpipes@hotmail.com)
Date: 20 Sep 2007

Mario said:
> And I'll put this on the table: I think Ellroy, should he apply
> himself to nonfiction (true crime, especially, or at least weird
> stories), would be an outstanding practitioner. I am reconsidering my
> opinion of My Dark Places, which on a slow second reading seems much,
> much better.

Seconded. Though I recall that you don't care for GQ pieces he wrote way back when. The second collection DESTINATION: MORGUE! includes several articles in which Ellroy and Bill Stoner re-examine cold cases. I liked reading them.

As for what I've been reading, the only thing new to me from the past month that could apply to this list is FINN, by Jon Clinch. It can be brutal and gruesome in a way similar to books by Cormac McCarthy, but there's fun stuff in there for any admirer of Twain. Daniel Woodrell fans would probably like it to.

I'm still hoping to get to the latest from John Burdett soon and am looking forward to Starr and Bruen's sequel to BUST, which I believe comes out in a couple weeks.