RARA-AVIS: Re: What Are You Reading?

From: Dick Lochte ( dlochte@gmail.com)
Date: 20 Sep 2007

Karin wrote:

On the other hand, I watched Vertigo (based on d'Entre les Morts by Boileau and Narcejac) with my kids and we laughed in all the wrong places. The scene where the carousel operator crawls underneath on his belly to turn off the out-of-control ride, but stops to wipe his brow just before getting to the controls, had them howling in disbelief. Poor Hitchcock's reputation is not holding up among my younger generation. But we keep going back for another try.

It's been a while since I saw Vertigo, but I'm pretty sure there's no runaway carousel in it. There is one in Strangers on a Train. I think Hitchcock (or perhaps Chandler) was being playful with that brow mop and sort of expected a giggle or two at other moments of suspense in Strangers. There's not a lot to laugh at in Vertigo as I recall. It may be in color but, with that ending, it's arguably the director's most noir movie.

On the subject of what I'm reading, I just finished Stephen Hunter's new novel The 47th Samurai, with Bob Lee Swagger battling yakuza in Tokyo. It may not be art, but it keeps the blood pumping. I'm in the middle of Hammett's Moral Vision, a fascinating (so-far) study of the five novels, by George J. "Rhino" Thompson. Worth picking up.

Dick Lochte