RARA-AVIS: Re: Ossessione and La bete humaine

From: jacquesdebierue ( jacquesdebierue@yahoo.com)
Date: 16 Sep 2007

--- In rara-avis-l@yahoogroups.com, "phil_sunset" <phil_sunset@...> wrote:

> "Pepe le Moko" is a great film. How about "Le Jour se leve"
> which, I believe, was remade as "The Long Night"?

Le jour... may be my favorite French noir film. It's a lesson in cinema, too, on top of the great story. I find that these great French films satisfy me far more at a theatre, with an audience, than in the pristine DVD versions that are available today. The way Gabin dominated the scenes was not the same way that, say, Cagney, Robinson or Bogart dominated it: with Gabin, you get emotionally involved (at least, that's the effect on me). The audience contributes to this effect.

Best,

mrt