Re: RARA-AVIS: Re: Noir series (long(er) answer)

From: William Ahearn ( williamahearn@yahoo.com)
Date: 14 Sep 2007

--- Terrill Lankford < lankford2000@earthlink.net> wrote:

 It's your
> attitude that seems to scream "I'm an expert and
> what I say goes!" that I question. (And if I'm
> somehow misreading your posts, I apologize in
> advance.)

I think you are misreading my posts. To answer about my slamming the door, consider this: I was harassed and belittled for saying, among other things that (a) Nino Frank's statement about noir in 1946 was "off hand" and (b) for saying that Mickey Spillane wasn't noir.

So I left and did my homework. Nino Frank's statement about noir in 1946 was in fact an offhand one (and it seems as if I'm the only one who bothered to read it in the last 30 years) and Mickey Spillane himself denied being a noir writer in print. (In fact he stated it in the same volume that a poster here used to prove he was.) In response to the essay on my website I got several supportive emails from people who knew Mickey Spillane to say that what I quoted was exactly what he meant.

Granted, I may be a bit abrasive at worst and an acquired taste at best but I have never in any shape or form even hinted that I was an expert at anything. What I'm trying to solicit from those who disagree with me is an articulate description of noir. There is a method to the madness and it has nothing to do with me thinking I'm an expert but it has a lot to do with a learning experience. My feeling is that Raymond Borde and Etienne Chaumeton totally screwed the pooch when they wrote "Panorama" and it triggered a host of academics and film theorists who continued to pollute the mess that "Panorama" began. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm over it. This is not the place to do this since apparently there some is hostility toward this kind of discussion. So I'll just lurk from now. As for being rude and insulting I think me and this list are just about even.

William

Essays and Ramblings
<http://www.williamahearn.com>

____________________________________________________________________________________ Looking for a deal? Find great prices on flights and hotels with Yahoo! FareChase. http://farechase.yahoo.com/